Thursday, March 1, 2007

Dusty Jewels

Keys, for some reason, have been in high fashion the past couple of months. It probably goes with the fact that long necklaces with large pendants are very much a Thing right now. Black keys, golden keys, silver keys, keys with faceted crystals, all of them as very nice pendants on chains that are long enough to almost reach my navel in some cases. Being an utter sucker for anything sparkly, and having been on the lookout for something Frigga-related, I've been drooling over them for quite a while now.

I've looked at old keys on a couple of occasions - the big, heavy, several centuries old ones, except they're expensive as fuck. It would, however, match the antique spearhead I keep for Odin and the fire-steel I got for Thor. There's just something gorgeous and feminine about the jewellery keys, though. I bought one on sale already, a necklace with a cluster of items with the two main features being a key and a crown, which I found perfect for Frigga - Key to the Home and Queen of the Gods. I've been sighing over more, though. Several bronze coloured ones covered in crystals, because they're gorgeous and feminine and just look right. Modern stuff or old stuff? I still really haven't decided.

Everything Heathen-related I have seem to fall within those two categories, actually. If it isn't very old, it's practically brand new. And the new doesn't include books. My Danish books tend to be old. 1911 print, in the case of one Edda, 18-something (but new reprint) in another. I have, I think, two recent books on Heathenry. One was good, and the other I wasn't that impressed with. I'm not interested in most modern Asatru books as a whole. I've noticed a few interesting ones I've been unable to get in Europe, but most just don't seem to click based on summaries and excerpts. I like to read books from the 1950s and just shift through the Christianity-influenced POV. I love the lore, and I can pick up a ton of interesting, quirky things from various old-as-hell mythology books. Maybe they're not politically correct, maybe they're almost downright offensive in places, but they're fun and they give a view that hasn't been through the filter of however many Heathens and Lokeans and Asatru who helped give their input and arguments. In many ways, the modern books are just as biased as the old ones, they're just biased in a different way.

Plus, the rare few drawings in the old ones are just gorgeous. I'm a sucker for pretty stuff.

No comments: