Thursday, March 8, 2007

Does This Midsummer Ritual Make My Ass Look Fat?

I'm skimming a forum and I'm reminded of something I've always wondered about - it's always very black and white when it comes to Heathen stuff. If you're not into tranceworkings and Loki-worship and mix-and-match Heathenry-Hindu-Indian rituals, then you're obviously a stubborn, hardcore reconstructionist who insist that if it isn't in the Eddas and backed by five independent archaeological sources, then It's Not Valid (and vice versa).

What really makes me itch to slap someone is the way someone, usually from the former group, will go "... well, the Norse people were influenced by other cultures, too! But that's okay, I respect your right to have your Stone Age, backwards version of Heathenry that will never develop any further, but I obviously just had to comment to say that."

Dear fucking morons (and could I write this entry without cursing? Sure. But it makes me feel much better this way):

There is a hell of a big difference between 'influenced by other cultures' and 'well, I like Kali! She will work well with Loki! And Karma is so h0tt right now! I'll use that, too, 'cause a book told me it was really really important!'. As far as I'm concerned, that stuff isn't Heathenry. And as far as I'm concerned, nowhere does it state that I have to respect that sort of 'religions in a blender and see what comes out' practice. There's "Huh, that's a pretty interesting ritual they have there for Midsummer - I like that, it makes sense, maybe I should read up on it, try to adapt it to my tradition and try it out" and "OMFG, some South American tribe had this really cool harvest celebration in March! I'll do the same! ... what do you mean, I live in the northern hemisphere? So what?"

It is perfectly possible not to believe in mixing religions and still not follow everything done 1100 years ago right down to the letter. Of course religions evolve over time, and it's perfectly possible to go along with society without jumping all the way other to the other extreme and use the "Everything goes" approach. Most people probably wouldn't go along with human sacrifice there days, even if they could get away with it. There's a nice middle road between those two extremes. It's just a pity those two extremes yell a lot louder.

No comments: