Monday, January 29, 2007

Stickies

There are roughly three billion 'divisions' of heathenry at any given time: Asatru, Forn Sed, Heathenry, Theodish Belief, Odinism, Vor Sidr, you name it.

This is not a handy list of definitions for each of them because frankly, I can't keep track of half of those. I tend to stick to the 'Heathen' label. 'Asetro', occasionally, which is 'Asatru' in Danish, which gets annoying because in some areas 'Asatru' is the Icelandic version when I basically just follow sort of what we have here... to some degree, anyway. As already mentioned, I'm not interested in wandering around in a dark forest in the middle of nowhere at night and I'm not one for big, elaborate blots. I'm somewhat of an agnostic heathen. I'm not sure any gods exist but that doesn't keep me from following them as so much of what the Norse myths teach match my own way of seeing things. Which probably explains why I don't get Freya braiding my hair or Loki hiding my car keys - because I don't expect them to and I'm not deliberately looking for signs of their possible influence. Or maybe we're all suffering from collective delusions - the whole thing with 'if you talk to God, you're religious, if He talks back, you're nuts' and all.

I live in what's basically an atheist country (with an official church where the number of churchgoers is insanely low), raised by an atheist family, and surrounded by mostly-atheist friends. I don't want to believe in nothing but I'm not sure anything is there, either.

Thus, agnostic Heathen. Doesn't stop me from buying Jack Daniels for blots or wearing a silver valknut meant in the modern-day interpretation of 'bullseye'. Occasionally, I feel stupid. And occasionally, I feel like there's nothing more right in the world for me.

(I'm babbling. I got a cold and my brain started leaking. Forgive me.)

2 comments:

Andy said...

We all have to find our own path. One does not have to buy into a proscribed dogma in order to be a spirtual person. A label is just that; a label. It is not who we are as a person.

Hope you feel better.

Annika said...

I do. It's easy to forget, sometimes, that you don't have to fit some particular label just because it seems to work for other people.