Saturday, January 20, 2007

Hammer and Chains

I'll admit it: I'm a sucker for jewellery. Silver, mostly - I love gold, gold is shiny and beautiful and so very nice, but I have the wrong looks for it, so silver it is, occasionally with bronze. I love hammers, too - gorgeous Thor's Hammers with just the right combo of weight and design, and I'm lucky in that regard as you can find those in just about every regular jewellery store over here (it certainly helps on the price, too). The only problem is finding one that wasn't meant for people twice my size. I'm not 6'2, bearded, and built like the Thunder God himself. It's that image thing again - those gorgeous, old-fashioned Mjollnirs look perfect on some people (usually men) but they'd look completely out of place on me.

In passing in a store, back in December, I noticed someone with a designer-style necklace in bronze or something similar - small coins, bronze beads, several thin chains, the whole nine yards - and as the centrepiece was a Mjollnir in bronze as well. I've never seen anything like that necklace around here and I'm guessing it was a custom piece but to me, it looked perfect. It was unique enough, with enough thought put into it, that I doubt it was just a fashion statement or because it looked cool.

It was modern, really. And I think that's what I liked the most about it - that it wasn't like most people you see wearing a hammer, that it was someone who made it their own and made it fit their own style. That's the kind of Hammer I adore the most. And that's the kind of Hammer I'll fall for every time I see one.

No comments: